Sunday, July 26, 2015

Haying With Helen



I’ve hayed with my father,
     When I was a boy;
And I can assure you
     I found it no joy.
I’ve hayed with the neighbors
     For so much per day;
But ne’er could I relish
     The making of hay.

I’ve hayed in the morning
     At breaking of dawn;
I’ve swung the old cutter
     With muscle and brawn.
But never till lately,
     In fact till today,
Have I really been happy
     At making the hay.

But Helen came with me,
     Fair Helen from town;
Fair Helen with dimples,
     And tresses of brown.
She raked the stray grasses
     And followed the cart;
But O, she did
     She raked my poor heart!

Ah! Haying with Helen
     While birds sang their lays;
While nature was shrouded
     In mystical haze.
I’ve hayed with my father,
     Resentful and blind;
But haying with Helen
     Is joy undefined!



July 26, ‘10




No comments:

Post a Comment