Thursday, July 30, 2015

THESE COMMON SAYINGS



Thee common sayings make me laugh,
For they are never true by half;
These foolish sayings, which each day,
The common run of people say.

“I’m frozen stiff,” we’ve often heard;
If true they couldn’t say a word.
“I’m all broke up,” a man will say,
Yet attend business every day.

“The wind blew through me,” mind you, through;
How queer they’d look if it were true.
“She dropped her yes;” would not that be
A very sad calamity?

“I’m busted;” a financial break
A hundred times you’ve heard them make;
“I caught the train;” you did? Well, well,
What did you catch it with, pray tell?

“She cut me dead the other day,”
You often hear some fellow say.
Worse still you’ll hear someone aver:
“She’s suck on him,” or “him on her.”

“I never slept a wink last night,”
Is an exaggeration quite.
“The rain came down in bucketfuls,”
Is but another of those bulls.

And so they go from day to day,
These foolish things that people say.
To get them all in print, I think,
Would take a barrel full of ink.

                            JOE CONE




July 30, ‘06 

No comments:

Post a Comment