Thursday, July 30, 2015

Because I Love You



                   I.

I have tried to make you understand,
     But my efforts have been in vain;
You chose to be blind, or perhaps unkind,
     And my heart bows down with pain.
I have tried to tell you in many ways,
     Of the passion I felt for you;
But my voice went wide, and the message died,
     And the God of love was untrue.

                   II.

Your heart beat not to the throb of mine,
     Our paths lead different ways;
I shall try to forget, and yet – and yet –
     They were happy, mistaken days.
I shall sink once more to the hum-drum round
     And labor the long days through;
But my life will grow much better I know,
     Because of my love for you.


July 30, ‘98
Pub. Camb. Chronicle,
  Sept. 23, ’99


No comments:

Post a Comment