Tuesday, July 28, 2015

From A Shop Window



I look out from the dusty window,
     O’er each house-top and each spire;
And within my restless bosom
     Leaps a slowly burning fire.
And I long to have my freedom,
     And to mingle with such men,
As they who keep this world in motion,
     By weighty speech and mighty pen.
And I tread the oil-soaked timbers,
     And I fancy brighter scenes;
While I hear the sounds I cherish
     O’er the hum-drum of machines.
And I know that o’er the river,
     In that crowded city there,
With its gilded dome far shining,
     Waits the life I fain would share.
But I turn me from the window,
     While I try to patient be;
And the work of poet, teacher,
     Once again assureth me.
Like a sweet, allaying potion
     Do they calm my restless state:
“Still achieving, still pursuing,
     Learn to labor and to wait.”



July 28, ‘91
Pub. in
  Camb. Chron-
icle


No comments:

Post a Comment