Tuesday, July 21, 2015

A Little Busy Body



O dear! I’ve got so much to do,
I never, never shall get through;
I’ve had so much of work today
I haven’t even stopped to play,
And now it’s time to go to bed –
I wish ‘twere getting up instead.

This morning, first, I had to eat,
Then wash and dress my dollies neat,
And take them for an airing, too,
And it was noon when I got through;
And then I had to eat – land sakes,
Just think of all the time it takes!

And then I had to set about
And carry all my play things out;
And dust them off and wipe them too,
Just as I’ve seen my mama do.
And then I had my room to sweep,
And rock my dollies all to sleep.

I cannot see the reason why
Girls have to work so much as I;
It’s just like this most every day,
I cannot find the time to play.
And now it’s time to go to bed –
I wish ‘twere getting up instead.



July 21, 1906



No comments:

Post a Comment