Monday, December 28, 2015

A Horse



A horse fell in the street today
Upon the pavements cold and gray;
Collapsed before a heavy load,
A lifeless heap upon the road.
He tried in vain to make the grade,
He pulled and tugged and strained and swayed;
One look of sorrow in his eye,
He yielded up the task – to die.

Collected soon a motley band,
To lend advice but not a hand,
And some were moved to silent tears,
And some to coarser jests and jeers.
“‘Tis but a horse,” said one in glee,
“I’m glad ‘tis not a horse on me,”
And souls there were who failed to see
But humor in this tragedy.

My heart grew sad, I moved away, –
I owned a horse but yesterday,
A noble steed, as kind and true
As any soul ‘neath heaven’s blue.
Where might my pet be now? I say,
My grief too keen I walked away,
And left the hero on the road,
A lifeless heap before the load.

Ah, friend, that horse one day had known
The kindest seeds that e’er were sown;
Had felt the pat of childish hands,
Had grazed upon the fairest lands.
Jeer not at some old rack-a-bones
Who’s pulling loads over cobblestones;
And give a worthy thought, I pray,
When he falls dead upon the way.



Dec. 28, ‘07



No comments:

Post a Comment