Tuesday, December 22, 2015

When My Ship Comes In



My ship is on the wide, wide sea,
     Far off from terra firma;
The wind blows strong and she ploughs along
     ‘Twixt here and far off Burmah.
A gallant craft, that ship of mine,
     And a gallant crew to man her;
The wind blows strong and she ploughs along
     ‘Neath streaming flag and banner.
O, hasten my ship and homeward spin
For I long to see you safely in.

I’ve waited her for many a day,
     I’ve watched and wished and sought her;
For full is her hold of shining gold
     For me from over the water.
I scan the broad sea day by day,
     And I tread the sands in madness;
But the strong winds blow and she comes I know,
     With her sails awing with gladness.
Aye, full many a pleasant cruise I’ve been
On the strength of when my ship comes in.

O, haste gallant ship, for others wait,
     And haste though gallant sailor.
The grocer calls and the barber balls,
     And loudly cries my tailor.
For many an armored creditor
     Doth wait and itch to seize her;
And on her will fire as soon as they spy her,
     And of her rich cargo will ease her.
O, what great havoc and battle’s din
Will fill the air when my ship comes in.



Dec. 22, 1891
Pub. in the
Boston Courier



No comments:

Post a Comment