Monday, December 28, 2015

When The Rain Beats On The Roof



When the hard day’s work has ended,
     And the supper cleared from sight,
And the evening games were over;
     And the neighbors said “good night,”
Then I used to climb the stairway,
     To my cosy attic bed,
Where I listened to the rain beat
     On the roof afore my head.

‘Twas a plain, unfinished chamber,
     And the beams were stained with black;
And the snow sometimes in winter
     Sifted through a hidden crack.
Or the wind swept down the valley
     Like a distant cannon’s roar;
And I heard the ice-cracks thunder
     As they broke from shore to shore.

But I felt a sense of comfort
     In my cosy attic bed
And the din without was music,
     On the stream, or overhead.
With my head close to the rafters
     And my young heart free from pain,
I could lie for hours and listen
     To the pelting of the rain.

Was it winter, was it summer
     I was happy o’er again;
Lying in my bed to listen
     To the beating of the rain.
Then my attic was a castle,
     And its walls were grand an high;
And each rain-drop was a jewel
     From a diamond studded sky.

And I pictured scenes of battle,
     And I heard the martial air
Of the bands that filled the soldiers
     With a heart to do and dare.
Or perhaps a peaceful valley
     Lay beneath my raptured eyes,
While the rain was gently falling
     On a stretch of paradise.

O my little attic chamber
     Miles beyond this busy town!
How my heart turns to your keeping
     When the rain comes pouring down.
O the joyous hours of boyhood,
     ‘Neath the rafters black with stain,
Lying tucked in bed to listen
     To the patter of the rain!



c. Dec. 28, 1902



No comments:

Post a Comment