Monday, December 28, 2015

Rhyme To Mary



O, tall and fair is Mary,
     But what is that to me, I pray?
Her playful smiles and saucy wiles
     Are flashing not my way.
           Pretty Mary,
           Witty Mary,
     She hath a winning way.
I love her, yes I love her
But I must tell her nay.

O, sweet and good is Mary,
     The sweetest name of all today;
Her eyes are brown and looketh down
Whene’er I bid her stay.
      Lithesome Mary,
      Blithesome Mary,
How many hearts you slay;
She knoweth that I love her,
But I must bid her nay.

O, plump and round is Mary,
      But why should I indite this lay?
She’s lost to me ‘tis plain to see,
      And soon will go away.
            Airy Mary,
            Fairy Mary.
      Both debonair and gay;
These lines my only pleading,
      Are all that I can say.


Dec. 28, ‘96
Pub.
    Camb. Press,
        Jan. 2, ‘97



No comments:

Post a Comment