Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Satisfied



Some think they ain’t no fun at all
   When winter gits around,
An’ ‘speshly when the Crick’s froze up
   An’ snow is on the ground.
They wanter hang around the stove,
   An' toast a lazy shin,
An’ kick about the winter days
   Till spring gits round again.

Ol’ “Lizzard” looks as good to me
   Beneath her winter coat
As when I row in summer time
   In father’s ol’ scow boat.
An’ I kin hev as much good fun
   In var’us kinds o’ ways
As when the sun beats good an’ hot
   All through the summer days.

I hev my hooks set on the ice
     Down where pick’rel lie;
I hev my traps out in the woods –
     A happy chap am I.
Fun? Well now I should say I hev,
     The hull blame year around;
It’s all the same to me if grass
     Or snow is on the ground.

I wouldn’t want it summertime
   The hull blame year around;
I wouldn’t want it wintertime,
   With snow upon the ground.
I like to hev it ha’f an’ ha’f,
   Her change uv scenery;
Ol’ “Lizzard” jest the way she is
   Is joy enough fur me!

                 JOE CONE


Dec. 29, ‘08
Acptd N.E.H.



No comments:

Post a Comment