Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Autumn On The “Crick”



I like the “Crick” about this time;
For me it’s in its proper prime –
When all is quiet ‘long the stream
Then is the time I like to dream
And while away the lazy days
Amid its soft and dreamy haze.

The summer folks have gone away,
Back to the city’s swim and sway,
And left a quiet here behind
That suits my lazy, dreamy mind;
And once again I feel the balm
That falls on “Lizzard” lone and calm.

No sounds of laughter break the spell,
No wild Comanche Injun’s yell,
No half-dressed, tanned canoemen glide
Upon the smooth reflected tide;
No sights or sounds discordant rise
To steal away my paradise.

Mount Tom stands sleepy as of yore,
With deep carnations on his shore;
The wharf and grove reflected lie
Against a maze of mirrored sky,
And in the fading distance gleams
The village of my boyhood dreams.

I like the “Crick” about this time,
It holds me in its grip sublime;
The fish have found their appetites –
No more the fierce mosquito bites.
And I can bathe upon its shore
Clad in the clothes I wore of yore!



Salmon River, Sept. 22, ‘07



No comments:

Post a Comment