Sunday, September 20, 2015

Succotash



I sit before my desk each day,
     Amidst the city’s pomp and show;
In spite of all, my thoughts will stray
     To scenes I loved long, long ago.
My mind returns to boyhood scenes,
     To cattle carts, and whip and lash;
To pumpkin pie and corn and beans,
     And best of all, to succotash.

I go down to the restaurant,
     With all its life, so free from care;
I do not see a thing I want,
     Upon its stately bill of fare.
Because this very time of year
      I’m tired of roasts and fries and hash;
I yearn for country atmosphere,
     And mother’s home-made succotash.

Let poets sing of quail on toast,
     And all the dainties of the see;
Let epicures rave over roasts,
     They cannot get a rise from me.
Of course I like good things to eat,
     And do not fear to spend my cash;
I own that city life’s a treat,
     But O, I want some succotash!



Sept. 20, ‘09




No comments:

Post a Comment