Monday, September 28, 2015

The Hen



I saw a hen go ‘cross the street
     With slow and stately tread;
She seemed to have an end in view,
     And never turned her head.
“Why goes that hen across the street?”
     Inquired a passerby,
“I know she does it every day,
     But not the reason why.”

“You speak the truth,” I made reply,
     “She crosses every day;
And yet the garden over here
     Is equal every way.
She will not stay where she belongs
     Though land she has to spare;
She must go on the other side
     To see what’s over there.”

“Alas!” My friend, it’s just the same
     With all the human race;
Hens will not stay where they belong
     Though they’ve a better place.
‘Tis naught for which they are to blame,
     They’ve learned it from the men;
Tell me why men go ‘cross the street
     And I’ll explain the hen.



Sept. 28, ‘09




No comments:

Post a Comment