Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Chestnutting Time



The good old days were best of all,
     The days of long ago,
When we walked through the woods to school
     Two full grown miles or so.
How oft we lingered on the way,
     Alive with childish glee,
And with our flying sticks and stone
     Whacked chestnuts from the tree.

And then on Saturdays the trips
     With baskets, bags and pails
To hillsides where the ledges were,
     To deeper woods and vales;
The big and spreading chestnut trees
     Where nuts came rattling down.
O, who would swap a scene like this
     For pleasures in a town?

Alas! No more I shake the trees
     To bring my chestnuts down;
No more I walk the country ways,
     For I must live in town.
To get my store of chestnuts now
     I have to sit and think
And dig them from my massive brow
     By means of pen and ink.



Sept. 29, ‘09




No comments:

Post a Comment