Thursday, March 26, 2015

A Gungywamp Ambassador



“I’d like to know,” said Amos Green,
     One night in Stokes’s store,
“What’s wrong with all them furrin’ jobs
     Thet folks don’t want no more?
Time was when any man alive.
     Men wealthy, staunch an’ true,
Would hev been an Ambassador
     To France or Timbuctoo.

“Now jobs go beggin’ day by day,
     Nobuddy wants to go
To loaf around with kings an’ dukes
     With all their pump an’ show.
Woodrow is hevin’ awful luck
     To git folks, seems to me,
To represent his Uncle Sam
     In lands acust the sea.

“Now I don’t want to push myself
     In promernence, not me;
The office it should seek the man,
     Hez been my teachin’, see?
But if they’re too hard put why I,
     To ‘comundate, I swore,
I think I’d take the matter up,”
     Said Green in Stokes’s store.



March 26, 1913


                             Friday the 28, 

No comments:

Post a Comment