Thursday, March 26, 2015

Seedtime And Harvest



I’ve got a new seed catalogue,
     All full of pictures bright;
No flowerbed or garden patch
     Was ever such a sight.
They make me want to seize my spade,
     And dig from morn till night;
I like my new seed catalogue,
     ‘Tis such a wondrous sight.

The roses are as big as plates,
     The onions are the same;
To lug a watermelon round
     Would make a fellow lame.
The beans are 14 inches long,
     Cucumbers 23;
O, what a mess of giant stuff
     Within this book I see!

I’ll plant a bed of everything,
     And then I’ll watch them grow;
I’ll get a magnifying glass
     And study every row.
And if I get a summer squash
     As big as half a crown,
I’ll be the wonder of the year
     In this suburban town.



March 26, ‘10


No comments:

Post a Comment