Saturday, March 28, 2015

My Cousin Caruse



My cous’ Caruse he com’ for shav’,
     An’ gotta een my chair;
I did not know ‘twas heem, an’ so
     I had no feel a scare.
I shav’ heem s’am’ I shava you
     I poncho heesa jaw,
An’ rub hees head lik’ he was dog
     Weeth my gre’t beega paw.

He say to me, “You nevra hear
     Da great Caruso seeng?
No!” Een I say I can’ta pay
     For hear so gre’ta thing.
“You theenk he’s gre’t?” He say to me,
     “I am so gre’t as he;”
“You go for chase yourself,” I say,
     “You are but twenty t’ree.”

He laugh an’ write on heesa card:
     “Pass, 2, for opera.”
Dan light up heesa ceegarette,
`An’ bow an’ say, “Good day!”
I can no speek for my surprise,,
     Take time for undrastan’;
An’ dan I say, “My cous’ Caruse
     He eesa beega man!”



March 28, ‘10




No comments:

Post a Comment