Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Jonas Lee’s Spring Feelin’



“I tell ye what,” says Jonas Lee,
“The spring is what appeals to me;
Don’t care fur all the rest the year,
But when the gentle spring gits here
There is a feelin’ in my soul
Which puts me way beyond control;
A joy thet busts my prison bars
An' kerries me beyond the stars.

“I like to set outside the door
Jest where the sure rays shed an’ pour
Their warmth down on my head all day
An’ doze an’ dream, an’ doze away
An’ hold communion with the skies
An’ ketch a glimpse uv parrerdise!
But jest ez soon ez I git sot
My wife she lands right on the spot.

“My wife ain’t got the least idee
Uv soulful things the same ez me,
She’ll come at me full tilt an’ say:
‘I’m goin’ to clean the house today,
Now peel your jacket, Jonas Lee,
An’ bang that parlor carpet, see!’
An’ then the dreams thet I hev had
Are busted, an’ my soul is sad!”



March 31, ‘10


No comments:

Post a Comment