Sunday, March 29, 2015

Them Baby’s Shues



No, no; not them; ‘tain’t come ter thet;
     Jest lay ‘em back agin;
Hard time hev pinched us purty tight,
     An’ nuthin’s comin’ in.
But, mother, let all else be sold,
     Things as we need an’ use;
But we mus’ keep, let come what will,
     Them little snow white shues.

God knows there ain’t but little left,
     An’ thet is goin’ fast;
You’ve sol’ yeour gowns an’ me my suit,
     An’ rent is two weeks past.
This man here wants ten dollars wuth,
     Step up here, sir, an’ chuse;
Take what yeou will, but keep yeour han’s
     Off frum them baby’s shues.

“Them baby’s shues?” No, not ef I
     Go ragged, naked, sir!
“Them baby’s shues?” Why don’t yeou know?
     Thet’s all we hev uv her.
“Good stuff in ‘em?” I know it, sir,
     The best her aunt could use;
But God is good, I know he’ll let
     Me keep my baby’s shoes.




March 29, 1894
B. Traveler,
June 13, 1896



(note – Joe and Emma Cone’s first two children died as an infants)

No comments:

Post a Comment