Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Transformation



I heard the dreary midnight hour
Toll slowly from the old church tower;
And, from my chamber window sill
I peered out through the dark and still.
Old scenes arose which had for years
Been cast aside by smiles and tears.
I pictured ‘mong the sombre spires
The hearts of men, and their desires.
Some towered high, beyond my gaze,
Whose points were lost far in the haze;
But some were shorted, broad and full,
And to mine eyes were visible.
Against me blew a midnight gust,
As from a cold heart, and unjust.
Then, leaning outward, farther still,
I sought to look beyond the hill;
For, over there, methought I’d see
A throng of sweet humanity.
Then, wearied eyelids fain would close,
And o’er I sank in calm repose.
‘Twas then I saw beyond the gloom,
Beyond the city and the tomb,
A stretch of valley, rich and green,
With streets that gave a golden sheen.
And angels marched to martial air,
While ranks of men bowed down in prayer.
“United Hearts”, the chorus sang,
And through the throng its echo rang.
Then tap of drum and bugle note,
And “Peace” burst forth from every throat.
Then, rising, did the mighty train
Move on, and chant a Heavenly strain.
And, passing through the sacred town,
They journeyed to the mountain’s crown;
And, kneeling there, they kissed the feet,
Of Him, who graced the Mercy Seat.
Then I awoke, and sweet the hour
Of “one” rang from the old church tower.
My soul was changed – “United Hearts”
And “Peace” had nobly done their parts.
United was my heart with those
Whom I heard sing in my repose.
And nightly now before I lie
I gaze upon the steepled sky;
But nevermore I class the spires
With human hearts and their desires.



March 25, ‘91


No comments:

Post a Comment