Sunday, March 29, 2015

A Musical Career



I stan’ before ther worl’ to-day,
A man thet can an’ cannot play.
For w’en I started as it were,
‘Twas on a small harmonica.
Tirin’ uv thet I bought a fife,
But couldn’ l’arn ter save my life.
Then I j’ined the village band,
An’ tummed an’ drummed an’ thought ‘twas grand.
Then thought I I’ll l’arn ter sing,
So gave up every other thing.
But thet, somehow, soon failed ter suit,
So daddy bought for me a flute.
I struggled hard an’ sqeaked er out,
But thet, somehow, went up the spout.
Then I hit it – oh, what fun!
I squeezed a big accordion.

Then daddy said he hoped I would
Jes stick ter that, an’ l’arn it good.
But soon a feelin’ stole within
Thet I must hev a violin;
An' soon ther neighbors hurd me twiddle
On a wheezy home-made fiddle.
“Found at last!” cried I in glee,
As I sawed out Rosy Lee,
Ol’ Zip Coon, an’ Devil’s Dream –
I hed on a ton uv steam.
Then came an eddicated fool,
Fresh frum some music trainin’ school;
Chock full uv l’arnin’ an’ uv sand
He organized a big brass band.
I dropped the fid’ an’ in a sweat
I bought a shinin’ brass cornet.
About a year I held ther place,
Then dropped frum cornet down ter bass.
Ther ol’ band busted, an’ I found
Some comfort in ther organ’s sound.
But here I am, now ol’ an’ gray,
A man thet can an’ cannot play.



March 29, ‘91

Pub. in The Leader 

No comments:

Post a Comment