Monday, March 23, 2015

The Trouter Speaks



You may hold the whip and ribbons o’er a spanking coach and ten;
You may hold a high position and be envied of all men;
You may hold the key politic, often mankind’s smartest dream –
I would rather hold my troutpole o’er fishy looking stream.

You may hold the sword of honor on a battlefield well fought;
You may hold the badge of courage and the nation’s highest thought;
You may hold the seat of honor in the scientific school –
I would rather hold my troutpole o’er fishy looking pool.

You may hold the wand of magic o’er a gay, admiring throng;
You may hold the baton grandly while the diva sings her song;
You may hold the key to beauty, to the “health eternal” trick –
I would rather hold a troutpole o’er fishy looking “crick”.



March 23, 1912


No comments:

Post a Comment